Top 8 Considerations to Examine When Choosing Your Rhinoplasty Surgeon
Dr. Jaimie DeRosa has performed thousands of rhinoplasties over the years to correct or repair patients’ noses, and help them to feel and look their best. During this time, patients have all asked a number of questions about the procedure. (How much does a rhinoplasty cost, what is the healing time, how long is the procedure, etc.)
Dr. DeRosa has compiled the top most common questions and considerations here to help you make the best decision.
- A Surgeon’s Education/Training– You want to be certain that your surgeon has the appropriate training to perform this delicate surgery. Dr. DeRosa is a double board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, which means that she underwent rigorous specialized training in rhinoplasty and, as an Otolaryngologist, understands the intimate relationship between the function and appearance of the nose. After your nose job with Dr. DeRosa, you will have a good looking nose that breathes well.
- Revision Rhinoplasty– You want to be sure that your nose job surgeon is a revision rhinoplasty specialist as is the case with Dr. DeRosa. This is because a surgeon who can fix problems from prior rhinoplasty surgeries can help avoid those problems for someone having a rhinoplasty the first time.
- Is Your Surgeon Approachable– You want to be comfortable speaking with your surgeon about your goals for rhinoplasty surgery and any concerns you may have. Dr. DeRosa thinks that this is critical to being able to achieve excellent results for her patients. Deciding to have facial surgery can weigh heavy on some people’s minds, so you should be comfortable with having an excellent two-way conversation with your doctor.
- Does your Doctor have the right kind of Board Certification? Unfortunately, there are a number of board certifications out there that don’t mean that your doctor is qualified to perform specialized facial surgery. Dr. DeRosa is Double Board Certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS) and also by the American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (ABOTO). She feels so strongly that Board Certification is important that she has also participated in creating the exams for both the ABFPRS and ABOTO and also has been an Oral Examiner.
- Does your Surgeon Perform Imaging– When you’re talking about possible changes to your nose with your surgeon, it is sometimes difficult to be sure that you’re both are on the same page, especially if you are only talking. This is why Dr. DeRosa also performs a critical computer imaging of your nose to show you the possible changes that can be expected based on your desires and what Dr. DeRosa thinks is possible based on her examination of your nose during your consultation. She also encourages her patients to show her photos of noses that they like, so that she gets an even better understanding of what her patients’ goals for rhinoplasty are.
- Realistic Expectations– Although no one wants to hear “No”, it’s extremely important that your surgeon be honest with you about what can and cannot (or should not) be done. Dr. DeRosa will give you an honest assessment of what she thinks your nose will look like after rhinoplasty and what is possible based on your specific anatomy and concerns. View Dr. Jaimie DeRosa’s Rhinoplasty overview video here – Nose Job Video
- Experience, Experience, Experience– You want a rhinoplasty surgeon who completed training long enough to have mastered surgery and is not ‘practicing’ on you. Dr. DeRosa completed her sub-specialty training in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery over a decade ago, so she’s mastered surgery. She’s still contemporary, so she’s not using techniques that are outdated. She is an expert in rhinoplasty – both primary and revision- and has lectured throughout the U.S. and around the world. You’ll be in good hands.
- Natural Looking Results– Finally, you should look for a rhinoplasty surgeon whose goal is to give you a new nose that doesn’t look “fake”. Dr. DeRosa works hard to create natural results after rhinoplasty so that your nose looks like the nose you were supposed to have from the start. From subtle to more drastic changes, Dr. DeRosa will make it look like your “new nose” is the one you were born with.